If, like me, you were trying to pretend that a certain democratic process didn’t result in catastrophe this week than maybe you threw yourself into television. Fortunately, there were some very good shows on this week. We’ll get to what was best and what was worst but first let’s talk honourable mentions.
- Crazy Ex-Girlfriend – for a tap dance about tapping ass.
- Gotham – for the Penguin’s masterclass in holding down your man for all the high school girls out there.
- How To Get Away With Murder – for making the absence of a beard the most upsetting part of a show about murder.
- Supergirl – for embracing an open dialogue about sexuality and (fingers crossed) not killing their gays.
- Scorpion – for allowing China to sabotage the election and giving Russia a much deserved break.
- Legends of Tomorrow – for Reagan’s jellybeans.
Show Of The Week: Empire
Even when this show has a lull it brings the drama more than most and this week was no different. The world of Empire is big and flashy which makes for great television but the reason that the show works so well is because it is about family. There is a real chemistry between the actors that shines in the intimate scenes but also in the incendiary, conflict scenes – much like the excellent argument we watched this week.
This show gets crazier and crazier but it continues to draw you in because it’s charming. Additionally, it helps that their music has only been improving as the show continues. Looking at shows like Smash you can see that it’s not always easy to incorporate music into the narrative and Empire not only does it but excels at it.
This Week’s Worst: ???
I honestly couldn’t pick a bad show this week. Can we just agree that the worst thing televised this was the election? Yeah? Awesome.
What did you watch this week? Do you think that Empire is too soap opera? What are loving or hating? Let me know in the comments.